Image Source: http://goliathflores.blogspot.com
Daniel did not want to eat the king’s rich food and wine because it would make him unclean. So he asked Ashpenaz for permission not to make himself unclean in this way. God caused Ashpenaz, the man in charge of the officials, to be kind and loyal to Daniel. But Ashpenaz told Daniel, “I am afraid of my master, the king. He ordered me to give you this food and drink. If you don’t eat this food, you will begin to look weak and sick. You will look worse than other young men your age. The king will see this, and he will become angry with me. He might cut off my head. And it would be your fault.”
Then Daniel talked to the guard who had been put in charge of Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah by Ashpenaz. He said, “Please give us this test for ten days: Don’t give us anything but vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then after ten days, compare us with the other young men who eat the king’s food. See for yourself who looks healthier, and then decide how you want to treat us, your servants.”
So the guard agreed to test Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah for ten days. After ten days, Daniel and his friends looked healthier than all the young men who ate the king’s food. So the guard continued to take away the king’s special food and wine and to give only vegetables to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah. (Daniel 1:8-16, ERV)
I am really enjoying my online nutrition class. I’m learning so much about the foods I eat and how my body processes them. I am always looking for good foods that make me feel full and give me every advantage on the diet playing field. Here is a list of foods that I consider to be the “best of the best” foods to help you lose weight.
Image Source: www.romafoods.com
- Fruit/Vegetables: The USDA’s MyPlate plan suggests that we eat fruits and vegetables at every meal. Fruits do contain sugars and they have carbohydrates. However, these carbs are complex and take longer to digest. They leave you feeling full longer, which is always a plus. The key to successful integration of fruits in your diet is portion control. Vegetables should be high in fiber and water content. The fiber helps in digestion and the water helps move the food through your digestive tract. (Specific food suggestions: 1 cup of berries = 83 calories, 1 small Gala apple = 55 calories, 1 cup sliced bell pepper = 46 calories, 1 cup broccoli florets = 30 calories)
- Nuts: Although high in fat, raw nuts are one of the most nutritious, satisfying foods you can eat. The fat in nuts is monounsaturated and actually has been shown to aid in weight loss. They taste good and satisfy our need for something crunchy. Low-sugar nut butters (almond or peanut) are also good choices as long as you enforce portion control. (Specific food suggestions: 1/2 cup raw almonds = 265 calories, 2 Tablespoons almond or peanut butter = 190 calories)
- Low-fat Dairy and Non-Dairy Foods: Yogurt is one of the most nutritious dairy products that can help you lose weight. Non-dairy foods like tofu offer lots of protein and are low in fat. Almond milk is my favorite non-dairy food. (Specific food suggestions: 1/2 cup of firm tofu = 88 calories, 5 ounces plain fat-free Greek yogurt [with a dash of vanilla extract and sweetened with stevia] = 80 calories, 1 cup almond milk = 30 calories)
- Potatoes: Any kind of potato except a FRIED potato is good for you. It’s high in fiber and filling. I must stress portion control, again, because a single potato (boiled, baked, or broiled with salt and pepper) cannot derail your weight loss efforts. (Specific food suggestion: 1 medium baked potato = 161 calories)
- Whole Grains: Whole grains in pastas, rice, and breads are not refined and have more nutrients. Whole grains are complex carbs and we know what they do for us — leave us feeling full longer. I have to give a plug for my favorite bread, Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread. You can find this in the freezer section of health food stores or in your local Harris Teeter. It makes a delicious sandwich and is great with my Basic Egg Scramble in the mornings. You can find different varieties, such as the Ezekiel 4:9 English muffins, Sesame, and Cinnamon Raisin breads. (Two slices of Ezekiel 4:9 bread have 160 calories and 0 sugars!)
- Water: Water hydrates the body, helps with digestion, and has nutrients and minerals that our bodies need. Best of all it’s calorie free and cheap! (Duh!)
Image Source: www.drsharma.ca
If you read the rest of the first chapter of Daniel, you will find that Daniel and the others who ate his diet of fresh foods and water were healthier than the rest of the men who ate the king’s rich, calorie-laden foods and wine. The king considered Daniel so wise that he made Daniel his personal servant, which put Daniel in a position to do God’s work later on.
Like Daniel, we need to eat the whole, fresh foods that God provides for us. Ridding our diets of processed foods is one of the healthiest, most productive decisions we can make.
Remember, our desire is to eat to live, NOT live to eat. If you have a favorite food from any of these categories, please share them in the comments.
- Daniel 1. Daniel And His Friends Obey God. The Young Men At Nebuchadnezzar’s Court. Shadrach, Meshach And Abednego. God. (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Dare to be Like Daniel & Friends (lisadetres.wordpress.com)
- Have a Balanced Diet (andreaviancamaravillarivera.wordpress.com)
- Protein Diet Foods For Vegetarian (healthylifestylesliving.wordpress.com)
- Tips To Lose The Extra Pounds For LIfe (weightlossreviewss.com)
- How To Reduce Your Body Weight Safely (imadweightloss.wordpress.com)